Lenten Lite Study
As you get together the first week start by setting some ground rules for how this small group will operate. Feel free to add on your own, but we suggest:
- Be Personal. The goal of community is not merely to gain knowledge, but to walk through life together. If your conversation never gets to a real life level, how much change can there really be?
- Be Safe. Great communities are vulnerable with each other. Respect what is shared in the group, and don’t share it anywhere else.
- Be Flexible. Think of this like talking with a friend over coffee. There are suggested questions, but if you don't get to them don't worry.
- Talk Together. Don't feel like you need to make your point and prove it to be right. Listen to each other. Be willing to put aside one of your own thoughts in order to add on to another person's.
- Have Fun. The best communities laugh together. As you meet, jokes and diversions will arise; let them.
- Pray. Close your time together praying for each other. Share prayer requests and volunteer to pray for each other. Maybe even remember to pray for your group members during the week.
Each week will look a little different but the basic format includes an opening paragraph, 15-20 minutes reading and talking about the scripture, 30 minutes talking about the week’s reading, a closing paragraph, and 5-10 minutes in prayer. Don’t feel like you need to hit all the content, or even stick with the questions offered. Sometimes the best questions are simple “What stood out to you about this week’s reading?” “When you read this week, where did you feel particularly convicted?” or “What was one moment from the reading this week where you laughed or chuckled?” If one question feels like it’s one everyone wants to talk about STICK WITH IT. This is not about covering breadth of content, but about building depth of community.
Please view the following links where you will find an outline for each week's small group meeting.
|Session 1||Psalm 119:7-12,
The Practice in the Presence of God, p. 23-49
|Lenten Lite Study Guide 1|
|Session 2||Romans 5:1-5
The Practice in the Presence of God, p. 53-100
|Lenten Lite Study Guide 2|
|Session 3||Romans 8:31-39
Life of the Beloved, p. 11-39
|Lenten Lite Study Guide 3|
|Session 4||John 15:12-17
Life of the Beloved, p.43-83
|Lenten Lite Study Guide 4|
|All||Session 1 - 6 in one PDF|
Thank you for being a part of this small group experience. If you would like more content or background it is available through our more in depth Small Groups and you can pick up a leader or participant guide at the church office. Also if you are just looking for some “best practices” or “tips” on how to have a stronger small group, we are here to help. Call or email any of our pastors or staff and we would be delighted to help you. We believe that community can happen in your life, and you can find real change when you realize you are not alone!